Ashburn, Va. (Jan. 24, 2017) — Park and recreation leaders from across the country will convene in Los Angeles Jan. 25-27 to address the role of parks and recreation in solving the nation’s homelessness crisis. Organized by the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA), in conjunction with the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks, the three-day NRPA Innovation Lab titled: Homelessness in Parks will cover the innovative ways park and recreation agencies nationwide are working together with federal, state and city agencies and non-profits to end homelessness in the U.S.
“Homelessness in our parks is an issue that can’t be ignored,” said Barbara Tulipane, NRPA President and CEO. “Every day more and more people are being forced out of their homes and into our streets and local parks. Our goal is to understand how to better serve these individuals.”
A variety of topics will be discussed during the event, including:
- The state of homelessness in America, and what federal, state and city agencies across the nation are doing to address homelessness
- How park and recreation departments across the nation are working under city mandates and across agencies to end homelessness
- Best practices from park and recreation agencies on how they’re meeting their missions of providing safe, accessible park and recreation services for all users
The keynote speaker for the event is Nan Roman, president and chief executive officer of the National Alliance to End Homelessness. Other speakers include the following representatives from the City of Los Angeles:
- Brenda Shockley, Deputy Mayor, Mayor’s Office of Economic Opportunity
- Barbara Romero, Deputy Mayor, Mayor’s Office of Community Services
- Alisa Orduna, Homelessness Policy Director, Office of Mayor Eric Garcetti
- Gina Di Domenico, Supervising Deputy City Attorney, Homeless Engagement Response Team (HEART)
- Misty Sanford, Commissioner, City of Los Angeles Board of Recreation and Parks Commission
- Peter Lynn, Executive Director, LA Homeless Services Authority
- Mark Casanova, Director, Homeless Health Care
- Vikki Vickers, Community Advocate and Speaker, Corps for Supportive Housing Speak Up! Program
“The City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks is honored to partner with NRPA to bring together leaders in the park and recreation industry and collaboratively discuss approaches to address homelessness nationwide,” said Michael Shull, General Manager, Department of Recreation and Parks. “As stewards of our public parks, it is vital that we gather together to share ideas and focus on solutions to the homeless crisis while developing and maintaining safe and sustainable parks and recreation centers for all.”
A copy of the agenda is available here.
To learn more about NRPA, visit www.nrpa.org/.
To learn more about Los Angeles Recreation and Parks, visit www.laparks.org/.